Events - History
Some of our literature related events for Black History Month:
Key moments in history
- From slave rebellion in Jamaica with award-winning author Alex Wheatle to an eyewitness account of the Brixton Uprisings with Ayi-Kwei Sankofa.
- Online, we’ve got weekly empowering talks on ancestry, enslavement, resistance and emancipation - inspired by six generations of Paul Crooks’ family tree.
- Rediscover London with a new guidebook shining much-needed new light on the rich Black history (left out of mainstream history) in over 120 sites.
- Right here in Lambeth, we’re featuring the Windrush Tradesperson Project, offering Human Library Windrush Performances unique to each reader, and walking in the footsteps of Black British radical leaders Cuffay and Wedderburn.
- We’re focusing on essays by 17 prominent Black Britons on Why Black British Lives Matter curated by RADA Chair Marcus Ryder and on Lee Lawrence’s 30-year campaign against the injustice of Cherry Groce’s death.